What is this blog about?

There is no such thing as an expert on the topic of Life. We all have had our battles, our suffering, and our questions. Despite the uniqueness of our personal obstacles, we have endured them. We have endured them well enough to advise those behind us as to how to do the same. I have done the research on your behalf regarding the multitude of reasons why wisdom exists. My mission is to utilize the voices of the world's greatest thinkers and heroes to compose a guideline of life's wisdom so that you don't have to experience those trials alone.

If you have any questions, please tweet them to me @JoeSielski or email me at DelawareGLU@gmail.com

(Please title your email with the word "Wisdom" so I know it will be for this blog.)

I will do my best to try and answer every question as quickly and efficiently as possible. Thanks.

Monday, February 8, 2016

A Day for Positive Thinking

The subject matter of this essay is quite simple:  it's a paradigm shift.   In brief, I'm here to present a new way of viewing positive and negative circumstances.


We all have good days and bad days. We're allowed to have days that are better or worse than others.  In that light, we are allowed to have thoughts that are better or worse than others.  However, when they are negative, we don't have to allow them to dominate our thinking.

I acknowledge that positive and negative thoughts occur, but one does not need to think about them equally.   In other words, the way you focus on a negative thought does not have to be the same way you focus on a positive one.    The mind with which you process negative thoughts needs to be a different mind than the one who processes positive thoughts.  Using the positive mind's logic on negative thoughts could result in anxiety.  To do this, it's really quite simple. This comes down to the addition of two words into one's phrasing.  That it; just remember two words. 

When pondering your positive thoughts, be sure to award it the word: because.

"I had a great day today... because..."
"She is a very nice person... because..."
"I finally finished this blog post... because..."
 
Adding "because" to a phrase implies causality.  When something good happens,  it's recommended to identify from where that goodness originates.

"I had a great day today... because...  I enjoyed how things transpired.  Also, because I am grateful."
"She is a very nice person... because... she is compassionate, she is humble, she understands me."
"I finally finished this blog post... because... the right motivation and block of time finally coincided."

The mindset that addresses the origin of positivity is one of gratitude.
A grateful mind will also understand how to process those pesky negative thoughts.




When pondering negative thoughts, follow the phrase with the word:  but.

"I had a bad day today... but..."
"She is rude...but..."
"I don't have enough money... but..."

Adding "but" implies the presence of an opposing perspective.  When something negative occurs, it is beneficial to not dwell on it and to offer a counterargument.   The word "but" allows for a wonderful transition toward a more positive light.  Negative thinking can become quite a cage.  Therefore, adding the word "but" to the end of a negative statement opens the door for hope. 

"I had a bad day today... but... I am well.  I am safe. I can get rest and wish for a better tomorrow."
"She is rude...but... maybe she had a bad day.  Maybe I don't know her well enough.  Maybe I can help."
"I don't have enough money... but... the money will come.  I cannot predict the future.  Also, I have plenty of love and support."

This mindset to counter-argue your own negative rationality is one of the most empowering mindsets around.  Imagine how many negative thoughts can be given light with the proper turn of the phrase.  Negative self-doubt, negative opinions, negative worrying can all become far more easily managed when one maintains the appropriate mind.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment